When someone finally sits you down and tells it like it is, it can be a hard pill to swallow.
But if you want to really enjoy life, you need to get to the nitty gritty fast and cut the crap out of your life so you can spend time on the things that matter to you.
Here are 20 brutal truths about how to get your shit together that no one wants to admit.
1) You’ll stop living some day.
We all want to think we are invincible, but we aren’t. Stop wishing away your days and start enjoying what is going on right now.
2) Everyone around you is going to die.
Hug your mom and dad and tell your sister you love her. They won’t be there someday when you finally look up from that smartphone. No one lives forever, right? Tell people that matter to you that they matter.
3) Money doesn’t make you happy.
No matter how hard you try, money will not buy you happiness. Life is about living, not accumulating. Stop spending your money on crap.
4) Searching for happiness prevents you from finding it.
Unless you are living in the here and now, you are wasting your life. Stop chasing tomorrow and start enjoying today.
5) Spending money is less effective than spending time.
If you want to make a real difference in the world, donate your time and save your money for a rainy day. Spending time with people impacts them in ways you cannot even imagine. There is always more money, but there is never enough time.
6) Making everyone happy is for the birds.
Don’t worry about trying to make people happy. People will never be happy. You do you before your time runs out.
7) Trying to be perfect will kill you.
Standing in front of the mirror pointing out your flaws will make you old before your time. Don’t waste another second trying to be anything except what you are right now.
8) Feelings are important too.
If you think thoughts have all the power in your life, think again. Feelings cause us to do some pretty amazing things, and some not so amazing things. Pay attention to how you feel instead of trying to trick yourself into hiding from your feelings.
9) You are responsible for yourself.
No one is going to live this life for you. We all know a talented 40 year old living in their mom’s basement. Get out and do something with your life.
10) Nothing matters when you are gone.
Someday, you’ll realize that all the stuff you spent your life worrying about doesn’t matter anymore. Hopefully, you’ll realize that while you still have time to do the things you actually wanted to do.
11) Talent goes to waste if you let it.
If you have a God-given gift, or you want to learn a new talent, don’t wait. Nurture it and be proud of it.
12) Now is all that matters.
You might wake up dead tomorrow so don’t put off what you can do today until tomorrow. You might not get the chance.
13) Stop complaining: no one cares how hard your life is.
Guess what? Life is hard for everyone. It’s not supposed to be easy. If you want a different life, go out and get it. No one is going to change it for you.
14) Share your wisdom with people.
If you know something and it could help others, share it with the world. Don’t let your ego get in the way. Say your peace before you can’t.
15) Invest in yourself or lose out on life.
Stop living on the sidelines of your own life. If there is something you want to do with your life, make the decision to do it. Spending time with yourself is never a bad decision.
16) Reactions are all that matters when things go bad.
No matter how bad things get, it’s how you react that’s important. Giving up is a bad idea; pushing forward is always a good idea.
17) Have better relationships.
Work to show people you care. Don’t assume they know.
18) Look for the deeper meaning.
Life is about exploration and discovery. Don’t take it at face value. Ask questions and be curious.
19) Ambition is useless, do the work.
You can have all the great ideas in the world, but if you don’t act on them, they are just useless ideas.
20) Time is the most precious thing in your life.
You will never have enough time. Do the best you can with what you have.
A quick message from Lachlan Brown, the founder of Hack Spirit
In 2018, the third year of Hack Spirit, I poured thousands of hours and considerable resources into creating these articles. It's a labor of love and remains free thanks to your patronage. If you found any value in these articles, please consider supporting what I do with a donation. Your support is what helps me to continue creating more Hack Spirits articles. To make a donation, click the "donate" button below and choose between a single donation or monthly.
Check out Hack Spirit's eBook: The Art of Mindfulness: A Practical Guide to Living in the Moment.
- Learn what 'mindfulness' really is and the scientific benefits to practicing it daily
- Learn exercises to be mindful throughout the day (even at work)
- Understand how to meditate daily to enhance peace and clarity of mind
- Understand and implement the 7 key steps to practicing mindfulness