Better quirky and memorable than normal and forgettable, am I right?
If people keep telling you that you’re not like everyone else or that you’re “weird in a good way” then it’s quite possible that you have a quirky personality.
Some people try to hide their quirks and fit in with the crowd, while others embrace their unconventional side.
From your fashion sense to your unique sense of humor, we’re going to explore 13 signs you have a quirky personality that makes you memorable.
Are you ready? Off we go:
1) You have a unique fashion sense
Here’s the thing: You couldn’t care less about what’s “in” at the moment.
You buy clothes that speak to you – it’s as if each piece of clothing you own has its own unique story.
- The yellow dress from that tiny little thrift shop in Rome that always makes you think of Italy in the spring
- The shoes you bought on sale ten years ago that feel like you’re walking on clouds and that you can’t bear to part with
- The Annie Hall waistcoat you borrowed from your mom and never gave back…
And don’t let me get started on the accessories! From bowler hats to umbrellas to pocket watches, you’re like something straight out of Alice in Wonderland.
It doesn’t matter if what you’re wearing is fashionable now or was what everyone wore 50 or even 100 years ago, what matters to you is that you like it and feel comfortable wearing it.
Your fashion sense definitely makes you stick out.
2) You have unusual hobbies and interests…
But what exactly are unusual hobbies and interests?
Here are a few examples:
- Extreme ironing: I only found out about this unusual hobby a few months ago. As its name suggests, extreme ironing involves ironing in the most unusual and extreme places – such as a mountain cliff or a waterfall. Of course, in my case, any kind of ironing would be considered extreme!
- News bombing or news crashing: Some people just love being on TV! Basically, they’ll find out the locations of live news reports and intentionally position themselves in the background.
- Toy voyaging: Think of it as pen-palling 2.0. Participants register on a website and then find hosts who are willing to take their toys on trips and document their adventures. They can also host other toys themselves. The toys get to travel around the world, and their adventures are documented by their hosts through photographs and stories. It’s a great way to connect to people from around the world and learn about different cultures. Sounds kinda fun to me!
- Beetle fighting: Yup, beetle fighting! Just like cock fighting or dog fighting (I can’t bear to think about it!), beetle fighting involves pitting two rhinoceros beetles against one another in a small arena. It may seem like a bit of harmless fun to us because they’re “just bugs”, but it’s actually putting live beings into stressful and dangerous situations for the purpose of entertainment… Not my cup of tea.
- Meme painting: In keeping with the times, certain people have taken popular internet memes to the next level by making them the subjects of their paintings. It’s basically the pop art of today.
3) You march to the beat of your own drum
While some people act differently for the sake of being different, you’re just being yourself.
Good on you!
You embrace your individuality and you don’t care about following trends or conforming to social norms.
You’re all about being true to yourself which is great because it turns out that it leads to living a happier and more fulfilling life.
And guess what, people notice you! You’re the beautiful black sheep – embracing your uniqueness and individuality.
Marching to the beat of your own drum can be very empowering because it means living life on your own terms.
4) You like to experiment and try new things
You’re genuinely curious about life, that’s why you enjoy new experiences. For example,
- You love trying new food, and the more exotic, the better. You’ve tried all the different restaurants your town has to offer, you’ve dozens of cookbooks with wonderful foods from around the world that you’re still trying out, and when you travel, you’ll eat anything the locals do (snakes and insects included).
- And yes, you love to travel. Maybe you’re lucky enough to be able to travel the world and go on amazing adventures, or maybe you have a restricted budget which means exploring new places closer to home, but one thing’s for sure, you’re not one to stay put for too long, not while there’s so much to discover.
- You’ll take a language class for fun. And unlike most people who sign up for Spanish or French, you’ll sign up for something like Danish or Japanese. Why? Well, why not? You think it’s pretty cool to be able to speak a complicated language that’s only spoken in that one country.
5) You often surprise people with your life choices
While your friends are getting married and making babies, you announce to your friends and family that you’ve quit your job and you’re about to go backpacking around the world for the next year.
You’ve saved up some money to get you on your way, and you’ll be working little odd jobs along the way – picking grapes or playing your guitar on street corners for change.
Think: On the Road by Jack Kerouac.
If this sounds like you, there’s no doubt about your quirkiness.
6) You like to start conversations with strangers
Turns out that many people are shy and awkward when it comes to talking to strangers.
But not you!
You love to start conversations with complete strangers whether it be on the bus, at the farmer’s market, or even in a doctor’s waiting room.
You just love meeting new people, making friends, and hearing what others have to say.
7) Your sense of humor is definitely unique
You’re the kind of person that can laugh at a funeral.
Your sense of humor is unconventional, to say the least.
The great thing about you is that you find humor in everyday situations, even if those situations are difficult or even sad.
Quirky humor is all about connecting seemingly unrelated things and catching people off guard. It also involves using puns and wordplay in a creative way.
All in all, your sense of humor is one of the things that makes you memorable.
8) You try to turn boring situations into fun adventures
That’s why kids love you so much.
Whether you’re babysitting for a friend or spending time with your own kid, doing boring chores like the dishes and grocery shopping suddenly become fun activities. You’ll pretend that the spoons are people and the pots and pans are boats… let’s just say that there’s a lot of swimming going on in the sink!
But it doesn’t stop there!
Even when you’re hanging out with adults, you like to have fun.
You’ll put on fake accents and pretend to be a tourist when going to the post office. At first, your friends probably felt a bit self-conscious, but now they’re used to your quirkiness and even enjoy your little “adventures”.
9) You like to express yourself artistically
And you often find beauty in the strangest places…
- Maybe you make installations out of recycled bottles
- Maybe you like to photograph dead birds because you find beauty in their fragility
- Or maybe you like to make music with unconventional instruments such as the rustling of a newspaper or the drum of a washing machine
Whatever it is that drives you to create, it’s certainly never what people expect.
10) You’re not afraid to stand out
- You embrace your interests and passions even if they’re unpopular.
- You prefer to be original than to conform.
- You’re willing to take risks and try new things – you’re not scared of looking silly
- You express yourself through your clothing, accessories, and hairstyle
- You often use humor as a way to break barriers and connect with others
In other words, you’re not afraid to be different and go against the sand.
11) You have a positive energy
Life is too short to be negative. Am I right?
You’re the kind of person that always tries to keep the mood light and you believe that in the end, everything will turn out for the best.
That kind of attitude to life is what draws people to you and makes them feel at ease in your presence.
12) You have a gift for retaining useless information
OMG that’s totally me!
- If you’re anything like me, you’ll remember all kinds of stuff about celebrities.
- You’ll know that the average person spends a whole 6 months of their life waiting for the traffic light to turn green.
- And you’ll know that the word flamboyance is used to describe a group of flamingos.
And when it comes to the important stuff, let’s just say that it doesn’t stick to your brain all that well.
I remember how back in school I’d stare at the pages in my history book trying to focus and retain the information before me. I barely made it through the exams.
Ask me if I remember any of it now.
Of course not. But I can list at least 5 of Johnny Depp’s exes: Amber Heard, Vanessa Paradis, Wynona Rider, Kate Moss, and Lili Taylor! Yikes.
13) You have an unusual job
While it seems that more and more people have unconventional jobs today, there are still some occupations that stand out.
I’m talking about:
- Professional sleeper in hotels
- Professional mourner
- Golf ball diver
- And the award goes to…. Panda fluffer!
If you have a job that gives the jobs I’ve listed a run for their money, trust me, you’re quirky and memorable!