Depending on where you live, who you hang out with, and what kind of family you were born into, interracial relationships may or may not come as a surprise to you.
It’s hard to believe that people still poo poo on interracial relationships.
Come on, people: we are all human! Aren’t we tired of this racism crap yet? If you are your lover come from different races, you are in luck!
There happens to be a number of wonderful things about being in an interracial relationship – besides the fact that your lover is probably an amazing and wonderful person.
Here are 12 of the best things about being in an interracial relationship. Take that racists.
1) Always learning
One of the wonderful things about being in an interracial relationship is that you get to continuously learn – for better or worse – what humanity is really like.
You’ll encounter kind and generous people who will welcome you with open arms and you’ll encounter hateful people.
How you choose to handle the situation is up to you but given that you are in an interracial relationship, you will probably handle the situation just fine.
2) You go against the racist grain
Because hate is still a real thing in our world, you get to show people that you are not afraid to go against the grain and be with someone, regardless of their race.
This is going to piss off a lot of people – especially the devote types who believe like goes with like.
That’s foolishness, and you get to prove that everyday. Besides some of the most miserable people in the world are married to those who are “like” them and look where that got them.
3) You get to acknowledge all of the change that has happened in the world
When you enter into a relationship with someone who is of a different race you are giving a silent nod to all of that has been accomplished in the world surrounding human rights.
You get to champion the idea that anyone can love anyone – for real. You get to show the world you are not a racist and you are proud to be with your partner, regardless of skin color.
4) Your kids will be beautiful
This one needs no explanation. Have you seen children of interracial couples? They are gorgeous.
It’s a miracle from God and another sign that we are meant to love each other no matter where are from, or who we are.
5) You can relate to television stars
Have you watched television lately? You’re more likely to find a talking cow on television than a couple that is the same color.
Many high profile television series feature interracial couples in leading roles. Think Shonda Rhimes: this girl loves her interracial couples and loves to showcase power in the same light.
Check out Hack Spirit's eBook on Why Taking Responsibility is the Key to Being the Best You. It's filled with practical tips, information and advice to live a more responsible and rewarding life. Check it out here: https://t.co/3bhUfdhHJJ pic.twitter.com/aVXAP3beux— Lachlan Brown (@Lachybe) September 21, 2018
The top television stars are mixing it up in fine style and viewers are loving it!
6) You get to team up against racists
Who doesn’t love a good stand against racism? We sure do. So if you love the one you’re with and the one you are with happens to be a different race than you – be proud.
7) You spread the love
Sharing love amongst humans is easier said than done. We carry a lot of hate, pride, and fear in our hearts on a regular basis.
We try really hard to keep ourselves separated from those who are not like us. But when you are in an interracial relationship, you get to wave the flag of love and inclusivity in fine form.
8) You can encourage others to do it too
You never know who you might inspire to let love in. While some people are afraid of what others would think of their interracial relationships, you proudly stand by your partner and let the world know it is okay to love you who want.
9) You can take halloween to the next level
On a lighter note, you can have all kinds of fun with your interracial relationship status: you can play up halloween costumes and take it to the next level.
Think about adding different twists to the same ol’ costumes you see and add some color to your life.
10) You can experience life from a different perspective
Being in an interracial relationship means you get to experience the world through someone else’s eyes.
Whether your partner is from down the street or across the world, you get the opportunity to learn about different people and places like no one else can.
11) You make the world a better place
Showing the world that you love all humans is a good thing. Don’t hide your love away.
12) You love and respect people
We could all use a little more love and respect in our lives and when you see an interracial couple, stop and think about how amazing it is that we live in a time where people can love whoever they want and are exercising that right, regardless of what you might think of them. It just makes the world a better place.
Check out Hack Spirit's eBook on How to Use Buddhist Teachings for a Mindful, Peaceful and Happy Life.
Here's what you'll learn:
• How and why to be mindful: There are many simple exercises you can do to bring a mindful attitude to quotidian activities such as eating breakfast, walking the dog, or sitting on the floor to stretch.
• How to meditate: Many beginning meditators have a lot of questions: How should I sit? How long should I meditate? What if it feels awkward or uncomfortable or my foot falls asleep? Am I doing it wrong? In this book, you’ll find simple steps and explanations to answer these questions and demystify meditation. (And no, you’re not doing it wrong).
• How to approach relationships: This section offers tips for interacting with friends and enemies alike and walks you through a loving kindness meditation.
• How to minimize harm: There is a lot of suffering in the world; it’s best for everyone if we try not to add to it. Here you’ll read about the idea of ahimsa (non-harming) and how you might apply it to your actions.
• How to let things go: As Buddhism teaches, excessive attachment (whether we’re clinging to something or actively resisting it) all too often leads to suffering. Practitioners of mindfulness meditation find peace in letting go and accepting things as they are in the moment.
Check it out here.