Have you ever gotten a shiver down your spine or felt a twinge in your stomach when a guy looked at you? It might be because you are picking up on subtle signals that he likes you.
Or you could be hungry. Can’t tell the difference? We can help.
It can be hard to tell if a guy likes you, but there are some sure-fire ways to distinguish feelings of attraction from say, whether or not you missed lunch.
Here are some things to watch out to tell if a guy likes you.
1) Body Language: How to Tell if a Guy Likes You
One of the easiest ways to determine if a guy likes you is to pay attention to the way his body moves.
If he is sending you some classic signals, he could be interested. Is he looking at you a lot? Is there something on your face?
Check, and if you are clear, it might be that he thinks you are cute. Is he licking his lips and swaying his hips? You know what that means: men always have sex on the brain.
Does he smile at you and gesture at you? Could be the real thing.
If you are standing near a guy and he is interested, he’ll lean into you, want to be near you, and make eye contact on the regular to try to let you know he is interested.
He could also just come right out and say it, but that is highly unlikely. So stick with deciphering body language and some of these other tricks to tell if a guy likes you for sure.
2) Let His Voice Do the Talking
When you have a chance to engage in a conversation with potential Mr. Right, pay attention to how he talks to you.
Does he ask questions to show he is interested in learning more about you, or is he just talking about himself… non-stop?
Does he seemed interested in what you are saying and does he engage in the conversation or is he just checking his phone in between drinks of his beer? If it’s all eyes on you, then he’s interested.
Keep in mind that if he is constantly talking himself up, he’s probably trying to impress you.
And if he’s sounding nervous, then he probably likes you. Some people will try to hide their nervousness by appearing aloof and disinterested.
If you think this might be the case with your guy, try this:
Get a little closer to him to see how he reacts. If he doesn’t budge and even tries to get closer, he definitely likes you.
If he isn’t interested, he’ll likely step back and try to keep his personal space.
3) How He Responds to Touch
If you reach out to grab his hand or playfully touch his shoulder, does he recoil or pull away? It might be that he is nervous, but it could also be that he isn’t interested in you.
Don’t fret. You can rely on other body language and the way he treats you to determine if he likes you.
Some guys who are interested will try to touch you for any reason, such as hugging you when they meet you.
He might also try what the Pick Up Artist community call “kino”. This means touching you to build rapport.
This can involve things like touching your hand when you tell a funny joke or putting their arm around you like you’re their little sister.
Shy guys can be difficult to read in this situation, and when you touch them they may appear startled and unsure of how to respond.
That’s okay. Watch how they react after that incident to truly gauge their interest. Don’t rely on how he responds to touch alone.
As mentioned before, watch out for the players as well. They’re usually very experienced at building rapport through touching, so observe how they treat other women to truly gauge their interest.
4) Is He Acting Weird?
If a guy is into you, he is going to start to act a little different around you.
He might stumble over his words or try to show off in front of you.
If he is paying attention to you and ignoring his friends or seems to be acting differently than he used to act around you, it could be that he sees something he didn’t see in you before.
This kind of weirdness will usually come out in terms of nervous energy. Perhaps they’ll sweat a little more, or they’ll take more deep breathes.
It can also play out in terms of banter and jokes. If they’re constantly telling jokes or playfully teasing you, then they’re probably interested in you.
Don’t let it weird you out – just keep playing it cool and he’ll come around. Once he settles down and realizes that you are into him too, he’ll relax.
5) He Shows Up Where You Are
If you mentioned you like skiing on weekends and suddenly he is showing up on the slopes, there’s a good chance he’s into you.
If you happen to stop by the party you were both invited to and headed straight to your location – unless you are standing by the beer – he is probably into you.
If he’s following you around the party, trying to strike up a conversation, congratulations, he likes you.
6) Notice his eye contact
One of the main reasons a guy will look at you is that he likes you.
He may be trying to get direct eye contact with you, or he may be shy and will quickly turn his head away when he catches eye contact with you.
So keep this in mind:
- If he maintains eye contact with you, he’s definitely interested.
- If his eyes wander to your mouth, he’s interested.
- If he looks away quickly when you catch him looking, he’s probably interested and shy. This is especially important to remember. If his head turns ridiculously quickly, he is likely shy. Have patience and you’ll get more opportunities for eye contact!
- On the other hand, if he breaks eye contact with you and continues gazing around the room, then he may not be interested in you.
- If you don’t like the guy, break eye contact and continue scanning the room.
- If he tells a joke or says something funny, his eyes will glance towards you to see if you’ve laughed.
7) Is he complimenting you?
Check out Hack Spirit's eBook on Why Taking Responsibility is the Key to Being the Best You. It's filled with practical tips, information and advice to live a more responsible and rewarding life. Check it out here: https://t.co/3bhUfdhHJJ pic.twitter.com/aVXAP3beux— Lachlan Brown (@Lachybe) September 21, 2018
Compliments are a great way to gauge a guy’s interest. Of course, many guys can give compliments when they don’t really mean it if they want to get you in the sack.
But if they truly like you, they’ll probably start complimenting you on subtle things that you may not be aware of.
It could be unique tidbits about your personality, or they could notice subtle changes in your hairstyle.
In fact, sometimes it may not even be a compliment, but the fact that they’ve noticed that you’ve changed your hair style or used different make-up.
If they notice, it means they’re paying attention to you and they probably like you.
Also, not many guys are great at giving compliments, so keep your ears out and notice when he says something that could even be remotely viewed as a compliment. If you’ve noticed that he doesn’t really compliment others, then he probably likes you.
8) Does he playfully punch your arm?
This may be a surprising one, but it’s actually a common signal that a guy likes you.
It’s a guy’s “manly way” of building rapport with you without being too forward.
If you laugh with him when he punches you, it’ll give him a signal that you’re interested as well.
If you don’t like him punching you, but you like him, then playfully laugh and say “ow that hurt!” He likely won’t do it again but your smile and playfulness will indicate that you like him.
If you enjoy the banter, playfully punch him back. That could really assist in building the sexual tension!
9) Is he mirroring your actions?
Imitating one’s actions is generally a sign that he respects and admires you. It’s also something that happens subconsciously.
Here’s what to look out for:
– Is his energy level mirroring yours? This can include things like speaking at a similar pace to you or leaning back on the chair when you’re leaning back.
– Is he starting to use similar language to you? This can include the same shortened words or slang.
– Is he copying some your mannerisms like touching your hair or using your hands when speaking?
If you can say yes to one of these, then he likes you.
10) Is he chatting to you on social media apps or messaging apps?
This is actually a great indicator because when we’re online we can literally do whatever we want to do.
If he is taking the time to chat to you, that means he is spending his personal time on you.
However, watch out for guys that just send you one word responses. This means they’re not making much of an effort in their messages to you and probably don’t like you the way that you like them.
If their responses are thoughtful and they’re responding back quickly, it means they’re willing to dedicate a lot of time to you. Time is a great indicator that they like you.
How to Tell For Sure if a Guy Likes You
Want to know the best way to tell if a guy likes you? Ask him. Or let him know you like him. This isn’t high school, and there’s no need for games.
Cut the chase and let him know you think he’s cool and he’ll either say the same or tell you he’s not interested.
If that’s not your style, and granted, it’s not a lot of people’s style, keep paying attention to how he acts around you, how he treats you, how he speaks to you, and if he makes an effort to spend more time around you.
All of these things combined can be strong indicators that he is totally interested.
And if you aren’t into him, be sure to let him know and let him down gently. There’s no need to ruin his confidence in his pursuit of you. “Just not that into you” goes both ways.
So be kind and frank about it if you must break his heart.
Check out Hack Spirit's eBook on How to Use Buddhist Teachings for a Mindful, Peaceful and Happy Life.
Here's what you'll learn:
• How and why to be mindful: There are many simple exercises you can do to bring a mindful attitude to quotidian activities such as eating breakfast, walking the dog, or sitting on the floor to stretch.
• How to meditate: Many beginning meditators have a lot of questions: How should I sit? How long should I meditate? What if it feels awkward or uncomfortable or my foot falls asleep? Am I doing it wrong? In this book, you’ll find simple steps and explanations to answer these questions and demystify meditation. (And no, you’re not doing it wrong).
• How to approach relationships: This section offers tips for interacting with friends and enemies alike and walks you through a loving kindness meditation.
• How to minimize harm: There is a lot of suffering in the world; it’s best for everyone if we try not to add to it. Here you’ll read about the idea of ahimsa (non-harming) and how you might apply it to your actions.
• How to let things go: As Buddhism teaches, excessive attachment (whether we’re clinging to something or actively resisting it) all too often leads to suffering. Practitioners of mindfulness meditation find peace in letting go and accepting things as they are in the moment.
Check it out here.