Do people keep telling you that you’re difficult to read? Do you often surprise them with your behavior?
Here’s the thing, if people can’t quite work you out, it could be because you have an enigmatic personality that keeps them guessing.
From the way you act to the things you say, we’ll look at the different behaviors and traits that hint at your enigmatic nature.
Keep reading to discover 12 ways you can tell you have an enigmatic personality:
1) You’re not active on social media
It’s almost impossible to be enigmatic in the age of social media.
Think about it, people share everything on their social media accounts:
- Their thoughts and moods – “Feeling lonely today, wish x was here.”
- Their opinions on various topics – everything from politics to fashion
- Their relationship status #It’s complicated
- Their likes and dislikes
- Their pictures – from their cute pets to selfies of themselves on the beach in bikinis
- Their travel itinerary, “On my way to Ibiza!!!”
I mean, pretty much every aspect of their lives is public, there’s no mystery.
Of course, it’s not impossible to find an enigma here and there.
In fact, I have a few enigmatic personalities following my social media – these are people that have accounts and follow other people, and yet never post anything on their profiles.
The bottom line is that if your social media pages are blank canvases, or, if you’ve gone one step further and opted not to sign up for any social media platforms, then you my friend are an enigmatic personality.
2) You’re private about your personal life
You know how there are people who like to overshare? Well, you’re not one of them.
And it’s not just on social media, I mean, these are people that you meet on planes or at the dentist’s office. By the time you’re able to get away, you know everything about them from where they were born to what they do and what foods they’re allergic to.
You on the other hand, listen and nod.
Your answers tend to be short.
You never reveal information voluntarily and have a tendency to avert questions by changing the topic – very enigmatic indeed!
Look, I get it, I’m the same. Why should every Tom, Dick, and Harry know about my personal life? I have friends and family for that.
3) You’re comfortable with silence
If you don’t feel the need to fill every moment with a conversation, if you’re comfortable with silence, then that’s another way you can tell that you have an enigmatic personality.
You see, silence can feel awkward for a lot of people because of the lack of interaction. What’s more, they see the silence as a sign of tension or discomfort which is why they feel the need to keep on talking to fill the void.
Unless they’re with someone they know very well, the silence makes them feel uncomfortable and even self-conscious – like they’re being judged.
But you’re the opposite, you don’t mind the quiet, no matter whose company you’re in.
In fact, you’re probably making the other person a little bit nervous as they try to figure out what you’re thinking.
4) You don’t say much, but when you do…
As we’ve already established, you’re comfortable with silence.
Turns out, you’d rather be quiet than say every little thing that pops into your mind. You just don’t like to waste words on unimportant things.
Your enigmatic personality means that you only speak when you have something to say.
And when you finally decide to speak?
You often leave people speechless with your well-worded and profound observations.
5) You’re unpredictable
Another way to tell you’ve got an enigmatic personality is if you’re unpredictable in your behavior and your reactions.
People never know what you’re going to do next or how you’re going to react in any given situation.
But why is that?
Because you don’t know what you’re going to do or how you’ll react either.
Here’s the deal:
- You’re a spontaneous and open-minded person that likes to go with the flow
- You’re an emotional person and that means that you’ll often react according to how you feel in the moment and you’ll listen to what your gut is telling you
- You don’t like to be too set in your ways
- You want to be able to change your mind
- You want to be able to surprise yourself with the decisions you make
- You like to play devil’s advocate and look at both sides of a story
And that’s why you’re such a mystery to everyone, including yourself sometimes.
6) You’re confident and self-assured
But you’re not an extrovert.
You’re not shy, in fact, you’re bold and confident. But you’re not one to talk incessantly and you’re picky about the company you keep.
Sound like you?
Well then, that’s another sign of an enigmatic personality.
There’s just something alluring about you that people can’t quite put their finger on… I think it’s the fact that you don’t need any external validation that keeps them guessing.
7) You live in the moment
Here’s an interesting fact: Enigmatic personalities enjoy being spontaneous and embracing the uncertainty of life.
Sounds familiar, right?
I mean, you approach life with an adventurous spirit and curiosity and you make sure that you take advantage of the opportunities that each day brings.
Simply put: you like to focus on being in the present moment instead of making plans too far into the future.
Some people admire your ability to live fully in the moment, while others see you as flighty or irresponsible for not thinking about the future.
It’s a bit of a mystery to people how you can be so calm not knowing what the future will bring.
8) You have a magnetic presence
Have you noticed that people are drawn to you?
You seem to draw people to you with your confidence, charm, and charisma. You’ve got what people call a magnetic presence.
People like being around you, it makes them feel like they’re in the presence of someone special, like a rock star.
But, here’s where it gets interesting: the fact that you’re not an open book leaves them guessing what makes you tick.
And you know how people are, the less you reveal, the more they want to know!
9) You’re introverted and prefer solitude to socializing
This doesn’t mean that you never socialize, it’s just that generally speaking, you like to stay in and watch Netflix more than you like to go out clubbing.
And you’d rather spend your weekend alone in a forest, connecting with nature than going to a busy crowded mall.
When you get lonely for company, you can count on your friends to have a good time.
Of course when it comes to your friends…
10) You’re selective about the people you let into your inner circle
The truth is that you don’t have the energy to sit around listening to people drive on about all kinds of nonsense.
What’s more, you don’t see why you should have to explain your point of view to people whose company you don’t enjoy.
That’s why you pick your friends carefully and you don’t open up to just anyone.
And do you know what?
That makes you very alluring and enigmatic to anyone who is outside your circle looking in!
11) You have strange hobbies and unusual taste
You have a strong sense of individuality and don’t conform to societal norms, and that means that your taste – be it in movies, music, books, clothes, etc – seems unusual to most people.
That’s ok, you don’t mind. You are who you are, other people don’t have to understand you.
As for your hobbies, well, let’s just say they don’t involve playing scrabble or collecting stamps.
I’m talking about strange hobbies such as:
- Extreme ironing: I swear, this is an actual thing! It started out as a joke and has since turned into a “sport” where people take an ironing board to remote locations such as the top of a mountain and iron their clothes!
- Taxidermy: I don’t know why someone would voluntarily stuff animals and make collections, but I guess that’s why they’re so enigmatic.
- Pinball restoration: Some people are passionate about buying and restoring vintage cars, while others are all about restoring vintage pinball machines. Certainly not your most common hobby.
12) You’re often misunderstood
Because you have one or more of the traits I’ve mentioned above, people often misunderstand you.
The fact that you’re not extremely chatty and only speak when you actually have something to say, means that you often come across as detached.
The fact that you’re confident but private about your personal life, makes you seem aloof, while your strange hobbies and unusual taste leave many questioning your sanity.
Just keep being you and keep them guessing.