Life is hard enough without having to live in a constant state of regret over lost opportunities, lost loves, and lost chances to speak your mind.
If you want to make the most of your life, doing these 25 uncomfortable things will ensure you’re don’t have any regrets when you’re older.
1. Speak your mind when something is bothering you. You’ll only get one chance to make a lasting impact.
2. Gather the courage to stick to the things that are important to you. We are all so easily swayed by what others think.
3. Ask yourself if you are who you wanted to be when you grew up. If you aren’t there yet, keep working on it.
4. Let go of the things that don’t matter in your life. When you are 20-something, everything seems to be important.
5. Make sure you are living life outside of social media instead of just painting a picture of your imaginary life on social media.
6. Check the drama queen act at the door. Let your overreacting self take a break once in a while.
7. Talk about the world, politics, hobbies, food – anything except other people and your judgments of them.
8. Stop telling yourself you are fat. When you die, no one is going to care how “fat” you were. They’ll care about you as a person.
9. Be interested in other people and mean it. Learning about others is fascinating and a great way to learn about ourselves too.
10. Stop trying to be anything other than a kind and empathic person. Being kind will bring you lots of joy and satisfaction in your life. No one cares about your opinion if you aren’t being nice to people.
11. Give yourself some room to breathe and mess up. Pay attention to things in the moment and allow yourself to enjoy them.
12. Read. A lot. Don’t limit yourself to what’s on the internet – they still print actual books you know.
13. Be nice. The easiest way to do this is to always put other’s feelings before your own.
14. You aren’t going to trip and fall into your soul mate; you need to go out and find them.
15. Don’t spend money you don’t have; give money away whenever you can; set yourself up for financial success early on and you’ll be glad you did.
16. Trophies and medals don’t make you a better person, habits do. Work on being better every day and you will become the person you see yourself being.
17. Draft a mission statement for yourself as a person. Use it to help you make decisions and guide your life.
18. Don’t cross people and burn bridges. You think walking out of that job today isn’t going to impact your life 5 years from now? Think again. Keep it classy and you’ll never have to worry about your life choices coming back to haunt you.
19. Ask people to be honest with you. Regardless of whether you agree or not, hearing people out is important.
20. Pay attention to when you feel uncomfortable about something: there’s an opportunity to learn and grow there but many people gloss over it.
21. Don’t blame others for your shortcomings. Identify and accept responsibility for yourself at all turns.
22. Find your purpose and you will find pleasure.
23. Create a home for yourself no matter where you are in life. Whether it’s your parent’s basement or a high rise in the city, plant your roots and be happy with what you have.
24. Forget what you see online: real life is happening right in front of your eyes. Go out and live it.
25. Make sure you get the most of our your life by never holding back love, thoughts, ideas, and desires.
Whether you have just turned 20 or you are about to roll over into your 30s, there are lots of ways you can turn your life in a new direction at any given moment.
The first step is to make a list like this one of all the guiding principles you want to use in your life. What do you expect from yourself? Always expect the most from yourself. Don’t put that responsibility on others.
When you expect things from other people, you’ll always be disappointed in the results. When you expect things from yourself, you have an opportunity to become someone new at every turn.
This article was originally published on Ideapod.
Like us on Facebook to receive useful articles in your feed.
Hack Spirit just launched a YouTube channel… And it’s awesome!
We’re sharing practical relationship advice in the form of videos. The early feedback has been incredible, but our channel is still so small…
We would love to get your help by subscribing to the channel below. It just takes a quick click of the button and means so much to us.
If you subscribe, you’ll start to see our videos in your YouTube feed. We promise to entertain and inform you with relationship advice and other practical self-improvement advice.
And check out our latest video: 10 things practical people always do (but never talk about)
Did you like my article? Like me on Facebook to see more articles like this in your feed.