If you’ve ever studied Chinese history, you’ve undoubtedly heard of the great philosopher Confucius.
Not only has his words of wisdom had enormous impact on Chinese society till this day, but he helped countless people live moral and meaningful lives.
He came up with the well-known principled “Do not do to others what you do not want done to yourself” and his teachings mainly focused on morality, family loyalty, kindness and how to live an impactful and meaningful life.
I’ve gone through hundreds of his quotes to select his most powerful words of wisdom. Enjoy!
1) “By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.”
2) “Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it.”
3) “It does not matter how slowly you go as long as you do not stop.”
4) “He who knows all the answers has not been asked all the questions.”
5) “If you make a mistake and do not correct it, this is called a mistake.”
6) “Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated.”
7) “The man who moves a mountain begins by carrying away small stones.”
8) “The funniest people are the saddest ones”
9) “Before you embark on a journey of revenge, dig two graves.”
10) “Wherever you go, go with all your heart.”
11) “To be wronged is nothing, unless you continue to remember it.”
12) “Respect yourself and others will respect you.”
13) “When you see a good person, think of becoming like her/him. When you see someone not so good, reflect on your own weak points.”
14) “Attack the evil that is within yourself, rather than attacking the evil that is in others.”
15) “What the superior man seeks is in himself; what the small man seeks is in others.”
16) “The man who asks a question is a fool for a minute, the man who does not ask is a fool for life.”
17) “I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand.”
18) “It is not the failure of others to appreciate your abilities that should trouble you, but rather your failure to appreciate theirs.”
19) “The man of wisdom is never of two minds; the man of benevolence never worries; the man of courage is never afraid.”
20) “The way out is through the door. Why is it that no one will use this method?”
21) “The gem cannot be polished without friction, nor man perfected without trials.”
22) “The hardest thing of all is to find a black cat in a dark room, especially if there is no cat.”
23) “Give a bowl of rice to a man and you will feed him for a day. Teach him how to grow his own rice and you will save his life.”
24) “Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall.”
25) “Real knowledge is to know the extent of one’s ignorance.”