Zen Buddhism is a powerful philosophy that helps us find true meaning in life.
In western society, we tend to think that we’ll only find happiness once we reach a certain level of income, or we cultivate the perfect relationship. However, Zen Buddhism says that true inner peace can only come from within.
The key, according to Zen, is to let go of attachments and embrace living fully in the present moment. It’s certainly an outlook on life that all could benefit from, particularly for those of us who grew up in the west.
Below we have found 25 pieces of concise Zen Buddhist wisdom that you might not have heard before. I hope they shift your perspective as much as they have mine. Enjoy!
1) The temptation to give up is strongest just before victory.
2) The goal in life is to die young, but to do as late as possible.
3) Don’t speak if it doesn’t improve on silence.
4) A thousand-mile journey begins with just one step.
5) A strong man overcomes an obstacle, a wise man goes the whole way.
6) Don’t be afraid to go slowly. Be afraid of stopping.
7) Even the happiness of a fool is a stupid kind of happiness.
8) Even if you stumble and fall down, it doesn’t mean you’ve chosen the wrong path.
9) A hut full of laughter is richer than a palace full of sadness.
10) Always look on the bright side of things. If you can’t comprehend this, polish that which has become dull until it begins to shine.
11) Whatever happens always happens on time.
12) Someone who points out your flaws to you is not necessarily your enemy. Someone who speaks of your virtues is not necessarily your friend.
13) Don’t be afraid that you do not know something. Be afraid of not learning about it.
14) A good teacher opens the door for you, but you must enter the room by yourself.
15) A mountain never yields to the wind no matter how strong it is.
16) Live calmly. The time will come when the flowers bloom by themselves.
17) There’s no such thing as a friend who doesn’t have any flaws. But if you try to look for all their flaws, you will remain with no friends.
18) Unhappiness enters through a door that has been left open.
19) No one returns from a long journey the same person they were before.
20) A person who is capable of blushing cannot have a bad heart.
21) It’s better be a person for a day than to be a shadow for a 1,000 days.
22) Your home is where your thoughts find peace.
23) The man who moved the mountain was the one who began carrying away the smallest stones.
24) If you’ve made a mistake, it’s better just to laugh at it.
25) The best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago. The second best time is now.
A quick message from Lachlan Brown, the founder of Hack Spirit
In 2018, the third year of Hack Spirit, I poured thousands of hours and considerable resources into creating these articles. It's a labor of love and remains free thanks to your patronage. If you found any value in these articles, please consider supporting what I do with a donation. Your support is what helps me to continue creating more Hack Spirits articles. To make a donation, click the "donate" button below and choose between a single donation or monthly.
Check out Hack Spirit's eBook: How to be Your Own Life Coach: 10 Essential Steps to Creating a Life You Love. Perfect for setting new year goals and actually achieving them!
- Learn the 10 crucial steps to creating a life you love
- Practical techniques and exercises throughout to work out who you are, where you are and what you want to achieve in life
- Affirmations, quotes and motivational techniques to keep you going...even through tough times
- Practical case studies showing what works and what doesn’t