In a generation where our self-worth is constantly measured by how many “likes” we get, it’s extremely challenging to show ourselves some love.
The truth is, we will always be too hard on ourselves. We’re just wired that way.
But more often than not, outside factors can deeply affect how we measure our self-worth. “Being strong” isn’t just about posting about happiness on social media or showing everyone you don’t have an inferiority complex.
Self-love is not a state of constancy. It’s not something you magically pluck out from your pocket when the need arises. There will be days when it’s harder to wake up. And that’s okay. You’re not invincible to these human emotions.
The first step is in accepting that this feeling will revisit you a couple times in your life.
The Second is in believing you will get through it. This is just another bad day, not a bad life.
Yes, we face constant challenges in our personal relationships, careers, social lives, and our own inner struggles. From time to time, we question whether we’re good enough. Are we doing enough? Is this the best we can do?
This is not necessarily always a bad thing. In fact, this is essential to your growth as a person. It’s a part of your journey.
But some days, you just want that extra reminder that you are amazing, smart, and capable. We’ve gathered the most inspiring self-worth quotes from the most inspiring people.
Check out these 51 words of encouragement:
51 Most Inspiring Quotes About Self-Worth
When you’re doubting yourself
1. “Successful people have fear, successful people have doubts, and successful people have worries. They just don’t let these feelings stop them.” – T. Harv Eker
Part of being human is admitting that you won’t always feel strong. There are limits to your own confidence. This is perfectly alright. You can’t always control how you feel. But you can always control how you react to it.
2. “Anger, resentment and jealousy doesn’t change the heart of others– it only changes yours.” ―
Focus on your own well-being instead of paying heed to what others have to say. More often than not, the way people see you and treat you have more to do with how they see themselves and has nothing to do with you.
3. “As long as you look for someone else to validate who you are by seeking their approval, you are setting yourself up for disaster. You have to be whole and complete in yourself. No one can give you that. You have to know who you are – what others say is irrelevant.” ―
You can never hear this enough – Be you. Do you. Don’t force yourself to succumb to society’s ideals if it’s not true to your ideals. The best version of you is the one that is truly you.
4. “Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement. Nothing can be done without hope and confidence.” –Hellen Keller
You don’t have to know that you are worthy. You just have to believe it.
5. “No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.” –Eleanor Roosevelt
You’re the only one who has the power to make you feel bad about yourself. It’s hard, but try to love yourself anyway.
6. “Doubt kills more dreams than failure ever will.” –Suzy Kassem
Don’t let this passing feeling stop you from your dreams. Your doubts are the only one stopping you from getting them.
7. Too many people overvalue what they are not and undervalue what they are. – Malcolm S. Forbes
This quote can never
When you’re not feeling particularly brave
- “Every woman that finally figured out her worth, has picked up her suitcases of pride and boarded a flight to freedom, which landed in the valley of change.”
Don’t be scared to take that leap of faith anyway. You won’t always have the gumption to go after all the things you want. But you’re never going to get them unless you try.
2. “If you hear a voice within you that says ‘you cannot paint,’ then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced.” – Vincent Van Gogh
Sometimes the only one stopping us is our selves. Never underestimate your power to silence these doubts. If you want to, you definitely can.
3. “Just believe in yourself. Even if you don’t, pretend that you do and, at some point, you will.” –Venus Williams
As the saying goes, sometimes you just have to fake it ’til you make it. After all, you always figure it all out along the way.
4. “Whatever you are doing, love yourself for doing it. Whatever you are feeling, love yourself for feeling it.” – Thaddeus Golas
Show yourself some love. You will not always be brave. You won’t always be strong. But you can always choose to love yourself regardless.
When you think you’re not doing enough
- “Your success depends mainly upon what you think of yourself and whether you believe in yourself.” – William J.H. Boetchker
So much can change if you can only try to control the narrative of your own story. The happiest people are the ones who don’t care about anyone else’s opinion of happiness except their own.
2. “If you have a dream, don’t just sit there. Gather courage to believe that you can succeed and leave no stone unturned to make it a reality.” ―
Believing in your capabilities is already winning half the battle. The other half is about going out there and working towards that dream.
3. “Always be yourself, express yourself, have faith in yourself. Do not go out and look for a successful personality and duplicate it.” – Bruce Lee
We often compare our success to others. But life is not a competition on who gets there the fastest. Your journey is yours alone. Take all the time you need to get there.
4. “Be happy for this moment. This moment is your life.” – Omar Khayyam
You might not be where you want to be. Perhaps you’re not even close. But day by day, you take one step closer. And today, you’re closer than you were yesterday. That counts for everything.
5. “Your problem is you’re … too busy holding onto your unworthiness.” - Ram Dass
There are a million other things about you that are worth loving. Why should you focus on the few things that are bad? Don’t waste any energy on feelings that don’t make you a better person.
When life hits you hard
- “Life is not a problem to be solved, but a reality to be experienced.” – Soren Kierkegaard
It’s easy to get ahead of yourself. Life is very competitive that it’s sometimes hard to find the time to breathe. But it is crucial. Sometimes the best thing you can do is to live in the moment and accept that you can’t control everything. But you can find all the good in what’s happening.
2. “The most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss, and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassions, gentleness, and a deep loving concern. Beautiful people do not just happen.” – Elizabeth Kubler-Ross
It might be hard to see it now, but times like these ultimately shape you into a stronger person.
3. “What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.”– Ralph Waldo Emerson
True, we have no control over what life throws at us. But we can control how to be brave. We can choose to believe that better things are going to happen. And it will.
Be kind to yourself. Truth be told, we’re our own worst critics. We spend so much time thinking about what other people think of us, that we don’t realize they rarely do so at all. So why should we care? Instead, look into yourself and be kind towards what you see. You are not perfect. But that doesn’t make you any less amazing. Treat yourself better. You’re doing the best you can. And that’s more than enough.
A quick message from Lachlan Brown, the founder of Hack Spirit
In 2018, the third year of Hack Spirit, I poured thousands of hours and considerable resources into creating these articles. It's a labor of love and remains free thanks to your patronage. If you found any value in these articles, please consider supporting what I do with a donation. Your support is what helps me to continue creating more Hack Spirit articles. To make a donation, select the amount and click the "donate" button below.